Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jo's New Year's Resolution

It's the last day of January and I have yet to share with you my New Year's resolution. With the recession I first thought I'd hold off buying any clothes for one whole year. To see what it would be really like to 'go without' in our hyper consumerism world. But than I started making exceptions and more exceptions. This wasn't going to work. Who was I kidding? I love fashion and clothes.

So I've decided that for 2009 I'd buy in moderation any shirt or jeans that are priced at less than $25.00. This week I found a pair of jeans of $25 at Winners. This doesn't include the money I'll need to spend on getting them hemmed. Am I already failing at this?

I've visited Value Village. Found a great coin purse for $2! Rickie's at the mall is closing for two months for renovations. Stopped in and saw they had a great sale. Buy one get the other item FREE! Fifteen dollars later I proudly walked out with two tank tops!

There are some of you out there who are pros at shopping at thrift stores. You have crafted the art of finding those hidden treasures. I'm an amateur at this. I have browsed at couple of thrift stores and felt inexperienced. And then when I visited Value Village, which is only a 10 minute drive from my place by the way, I stared observing the other shoppers. Trying to learn their techniques. Looking in the carts to see what they got. I was the new kid at the shopping ground.

Perhaps this will be the first resolution that I actually succeed at! The vintage, thrifty and crafty shopper is here for 2009!

No comments: