Saturday, February 21, 2009

Black History Month

Today at the post office where I was picking up my renewed passport (yeah!) I saw these stamps. I had no clue that February is Black History Month in Canada!

Google was able to educate me about it:

Black History Month is a time to honour and celebrate the achievements of Canadians of African descent and their contributions to the social, economic, cultural and political life. It provides an opportunity to learn about and be inspired by the history, pride and strength of African Canadians.

Statistics:
  • 60% of Black Canadians are under the age of 35.
  • 60% of Black Canadians live in the province of Ontario.
  • There are 20,000 more black women than black men in Canada.
The lady on the stamp is Rosemary Brown (1930-2003). She was the first woman of color to be elected to office in Canada! She resided in Vancouver, BC.

No comments: